If there was one vehicle that can lay claim to absolutely dominating the automobile industry in the United States, it has got to be the Honda Accord. The Japanese automaker, Honda manufactured the Accord in 1976, and has used the name Accord on different vehicles around the world, which include hatchbacks, wagons, coupes, and even a crossover. The Honda Accord has a varied and lengthy history, and is one of the most in demand and celebrate vehicle all over the world.
How it all started:
The Honda Accord came into existence in the year 1982, when production began at Honda’s Marysville Auto Plant in Marysville, Ohio. The Japanese manufacturer couldn’t have envisioned that it would go on to achieve such success in the United States, where it has been the bestselling car for decades! Honda Accord is also regarded as one of the most reliable on-road vehicle ever manufactured, which is backed up by road tests carried out in the past and at present as well. Moreover, the Accord has also been featured an astonishing 30 times on the “Car and Driver 10 Best List!”
The Record of Honda Accord:
Honda has introduced many different car body versions and styles, since its initiation. The debut Honda Accord in 1976 was a compact hatchback, and by 1981, it had introduced a wagon, coupe, and a sedan into its lineup. The sixth generation of Honda Accord was launched in the 1990s, and it completely changed the game in the automobile industry in the United States. It dominated the markets and reached its peak sales at 10 million cars sold in America alone.
Honda launched the 8th generation Honda Accord in North America in 2007, and again further upgraded its model by increasing its size. The current 9th generation of the Honda Accord is still going strong and is currently giving tough competition to automobile giants in the American automobile industry.
The story of Honda Accord:
Honda Accord is one of the most prolific car models of our time, which is why it can be a bit difficult to cover the entire history of an iconic automobile. However, we have done our best to tell you the story of Honda Accord in summary with a timeline that features all the biggest moments in the history of the iconic automobile.
Have a look at this short timeline of the Honda Accord:
- 1976 – First Generation – Honda Accord is launched as a 3-door hatchback and offered 68 horsepower.
- 1982 – Honda Accord begins production at Honda’s Marysville Auto Plant, making it the first car ever to be produced in the United States by a Japanese auto manufacturer.
- 1980s – Second Generation – Honda Accord introduces 80s-signature features, which are immensely popular. These features included chrome accents, velour cabin trim, and shag carpeting.
- 1985 – Third Generation – Honda Accord manages to win the award for Car of the Year Japan.
- 1989 – Fourth Generation – Honda Accord introduces a standard 2.2-liter 16-valve electronic fuel-injected engine.
- 1993 – Fifth Generation – Honda Accord launches a separate car version for Europe and the U.S.
- 1997 – Sixth Generation – Honda Accord continues to launch separate car versions in the market for Japan, Europe, and the U.S.
- 1982 – 1997 – Honda Accord claims the title of the “Best-Selling Japanese Car in the U.S.”. It dominates the American automobile industry, as the most popular car for 15 years in a row!
- 2002 – Seventh Generation – Honda Accord remains as the most popular automobile in the U.S.
- 2008 – Eighth Generation – Honda Accord introduces cutting edge levels of handling and fuel efficiency.
- Present Day (2016) – Ninth Generation – Honda Accord is one of the most popular automobiles in the U.S. and now offers around 37 miles per gallon!
Do you want to learn more about the iconic Honda Accord? Contact us and check out the 2016 Honda Accord in person!